Wednesday 20 August 2014

Bruschetta - The Perfect way to Use Leftover Bread

So this is how my delicious Lemon Bread came to a scrumptious finish. I strongly believe nothing in this world happens before its pre-destined time, food too! Making a Bruschetta had been on my mind since I don't know when and every time I set out to make it, something else would crop up. My thursday mornings are particularly hectic as compared to the rest of the days as I go for an extended Yoga class after Gym. By the time I reach home, I have just about enough time to cook my baby's lunch before I rush to pick her up. As such, my lunch is either the previous night's leftover or something extremely quick and easy. I thoroughly enjoyed my quick-fix, healthy, yummy, and filling lunch today and thus finally my Bruschetta's got their due in my kitchen!!

Ingredients
Bread slices as per your requirement cut into halves
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 medium tomato finely chopped
1/4 bell pepper finely chopped (any color or a mix of colors)
2 tbsp sweet corn kernels
2 tsp garlic finely chopped
2 tsp black olives finely chopped (I forgot !)
Seasoning of your choice (I used a mix of oregano, basil, parsely, and red chilli flakes)
A dash of lemon juice
A dash of olive oil
Salt and freshly crushed black pepper to taste
Butter or any bread spread of your choice
Grated cheddar cheese for the topping

Direction
Pre-heat the oven at 200 degree celsius with only the top rod on. On a skillet, lightly toast the bread slices. Alternatively, you can butter the slices and toast them while pre-heating the oven. Take care however not to burn them. 
In a bowl, mix all the veggies (onion, tomato, corn, garlic, olives) and the seasoning and give a good stir. Add the olive oil and lemon juice and keep it aside till the bread is toasting. 

Now, take the bread slices and put the veggie topping generously on top covering maximum space. Top it with some grated cheese and crushed black pepper. Repeat for the rest of the slices. 

Bake in the pre-heated oven for 5-7 minutes till the cheese has melted and the veggies look a little toasted. Remove from the oven and serve hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment