Wednesday 16 July 2014

Quinoa Upma--Gluten Free Diet

The first time I tasted this grain, I did not know what it was and was too shy to ask the hosts. I then assumed it was couscous and went ahead and bought a big pack. I liked couscous but somehow it did not appeal me much. I still could not figure out that which I had and liked so much. Now I know! Quinoa it was! I loved everything about it. The crunchy yet soft texture and the subtle taste. The best part is however its nutrition value and the easy and simple way to make your everyday meal full of health yet so yummy and delicious. So until I finish the pack, stay tuned for more interesting recipes using this wonder grain starting with this oh-so-simple our very own Upma!
                                 
Ingredients (Serves 2)
1 cup quinoa
1 medium onion chopped
1/2" piece ginger chopped
1 cup mixed vegetables finely chopped (I used carrot, frozen peas, bell pepper)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
Few curry leaves
1-2 green chillies chopped
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves for garnishing
1 tbsp olive oil

Direction
Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and curry leaves. Let it crackle. Now fry the onions till translucent. Add the ginger and the veggies and fry till just cooked. You can add a little salt and cover and cook on a medium flame to speed up the process. Now add the quinoa and fry for 2-3 minutes till mixed well. Add 2 cups of hot water and mix. Cover and cook on a medium flame until the quinoa is cooked (becomes transparent with a small white tail/tag) and the water is absorbed. Check for seasoning and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot.
                                        


2 comments:

  1. yes i wanted to grow that and didn't so i need to buy it in the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Scott! Go ahead and buy it for now and try this Indian recipe for having it! :)

      Delete