Tuesday 29 July 2014

Wholewheat Date and Coffee Loaf

Every sunday, I try and bake something which lasts me through the entire week for my on-the-run breakfast. Since it is the first meal of the day, it is really necessary that I make it as healthy as possible with maximum nutrient value. The bake also comes quite handy for my evening cup of Honey Lemon Tea as well as for my anytime hunger pangs. All in all, I am finding it quite helpful in keeping my weight in check and have also succeeded in losing a few grams per week with having these breakfast bakes and coupled with salads/soups/grills for lunch and dinner. Now I can safely indulge on my weekends and control throughout the week!
                                    
Ingredients
1 1/2 cup wholewheat flour
1 egg
1 cup dates pitted and chopped
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup freshly brewed strong hot coffee (without milk)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup almonds/walnuts/pecans chopped
1 tsp vanila essence
2 tbsp butter

Direction
In a bowl, put the dates and sprinkle baking powder on top. Now pour the hot coffee and keep it aside till room temperature.
In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar till smooth. Add the egg and vanila essence and beat further. Now add the flour and salt and mix till no lumps remain. Now add the coffee date mixture and mix further till smooth. Lastly, fold in the nuts.
Pre-heat the oven at 175 degree celsius and line a loaf tin with baking paper. Pour the batter into the tin and smooth out the edges. Bake in the pre heated oven for 30-35 minutes till a toothpick inserted comes out clean. If the top starts over browning and the inside is not yet cooked, tent the top with an aluminium foil. Once done, remove from oven and let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Then cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.
                                 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment