Wednesday 27 May 2015

Spicy Tuna Fish in Vietnamese Rice Paper Wraps

I bought this packet of Rice paper wraps quite some time back but making it got delayed for some reason or the other. Yesterday when I invited my friend's Mom, who is visiting her these days, for high tea, I was quite confused whether to make some puffs (which are also lying in my freezer waiting to be used) or some fritters or simply buy something from the market. Just then I recalled that I have something new and interesting to serve. New ideas always excite me and I jumped on the idea. In no time, I quickly prepared the filling and started preparing the wraps. The best part is you can prepare these wraps quite ahead of time and they are absolutely stunning to present as a starter or a snack. I have used tuna fish as the filling here. You can use whatever your taste buds guide you to!! My guests loved it and I was a happy host. 
Ingredients 
For the filling 
1 can tuna fish flakes in light oil drained 
1 medium onion
1 large tomato 
1 tbsp chopped garlic 
1/2 carrot finely grated 
1/2 tsp dried basil 
1/2 tsp parsley
1 tsp cajun spice
Salt and pepper to taste 
2 tbsp spring onion greens plus more for garnish 
2 tbsp fresh coriander or parsley 
1 tbsp oil
For the wraps
4-5 vietnamese rice paper sheets
Water kept in a wide bowl or plate

Direction 
Heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic and sauté till light brown. Add the chopped onion and fry till translucent. Next tip in the tomatoes and grated carrots and stir. Fry till the tomatoes are mushy and the carrots soften. Now add the drained tuna fish flakes and stir well. Add all the spices and salt and stir till well combined. Add the spring onions and fresh coriander and stir. When oil starts separating from the sides, stir and remove from heat. Let it cool completely before you start making the wraps. 
For assembling the wraps, take a wide plate with raised edges and fill it with water. Wipe and clean the work table or kitchen counter. Take a rice paper and gently dip into the plate of water and swirl on all sides until the rice paper is soft enough to handle but not too wet. 
Place the softened rice sheet on the slab and place a spoonful of the filling on one side of the rice sheet. 
Now start wrapping it as shown in the pictures below. 

Fold in both the edges from the top and then roll the remaining edge. 
Place the wraps on a plate and repeat with the rest of the filling. Garnish with fresh spring onions and serve with your favourite dip.






No comments:

Post a Comment