Sunday 27 April 2014

Zucchini and Walnut Cake

I am not very adventurous when it comes to food, except for anything sweet. Having said that, I do try and experiment but only if it appeals to me. Today's recipe is just that. While in India, grocery shopping was never in my to-do list and so I did not have much idea about the varieties available in the market. However, after coming to Singapore, my life took a 360 degree turn and suddenly I was in-charge of every single household duty. So while doing my usual rounds in the supermarket, the Zucchinis lined up there always made me curious about their taste and texture. With all the food groups around, I did have a fair idea,  but it never really inspired me to try it at home. As such I am not a great vegetable lover and so was even more not motivated enough until I saw this wonderful cake recipe posted in one of those food groups. The very next day I got a pack of Zucchinis home and the results are for all to see. I loved this veggie and rest assured there are many more recipes lined up. Till then enjoy this moist and crumbly cake with your favorite cuppa.

Ingredients
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup brown sugar (regular white sugar can also be used)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups grated fresh zucchini
1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp mixed spice (you can either add the bottled one or prepare a powder of dry roasted, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg)
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins (optional)

Directions
Preheat the oven at 175 degree celsius.  Butter a large loaf pan and keep it aside.
In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Squeeze out the excess water from the Zucchini as much as possible and stir in the grated zucchini and then the melted butter. Sprinkle baking soda and salt over the mixture and stir it in. Add the flour, a little at a time, stirring after each incorporation. Sprinkle in the spice mix over the batter and mix. Fold in the nuts and dried cranberries or raisins if using.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes (check for doneness at 35-40 minutes) or until a wooden pick inserted in to the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire rack to cool thoroughly. Can be stored in airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy either warm or cold with your favorite cup of tea/coffee.
                                         
                                         


No comments:

Post a Comment