Tuesday 9 September 2014

Cauliflower and Black Gram Soup with Crispy Sautéed Mushrooms

Experiments happen in the kitchen all the time and when they turn out good, they give you a great satisfaction. This week is my baby's school holiday and as such I haven't been able to do much of grocery shopping. With just a cauliflower head and some boiled Black Gram (kaala chana) at hand, I was totally at loss. Husband wanted to have only soup after an indulgent weekend and I liked the idea too but the cauliflower soups that I saw on the Internet did not seem quite appealing to me. So I set out to make my version and experiment with a new ingredient. I was quite skeptical of the results as I had never heard or tasted such a combination. However, I did not have any other option but to give it a try. The taste was superb and gives a rich creamy earthy flavor to the soup and the sauteed mushrooms only make it even more delicious!!! You must try this super healthy and delicious soup for a refreshing change from the stereotypical tried and tested ones!


Ingredients
1 medium cauliflower head, florets removed and washed thoroughly
1/3 cup black gram soaked overnight
1 medium onion sliced
1 tbsp garlic chopped (add more if you like or adjust later with garlic powder)
1 tsp butter (optional)
1/4 cup skim milk (you may use full cream; also, you can increase the quantity as per your serving size)
Salt and pepper to taste
For the topping
1/4 cup finely chopped mushrooms (I used the leftover mushroom stems from the weekend appetizer)
1 tsp butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Direction
Wash and drain the soaked black gram. Take a pressure cooker and add the black gram, cauliflower, onions, and garlic and 3 cups of water. Pressure cook  until done. I had used boiled chana which I pressure cooked again with the cauliflower to get a smoother consistency. You may choose to do the same. 
Remove from heat and let the pressure release on its own. Now blend the soup with the help of an immersion blender or in the food processor until smooth. Put it back on flame and add a tsp of butter if using and the skim milk. Add the salt and pepper as per your taste. Bring it to a boil and remove from heat and keep aside. 
In another pan, heat a tsp of butter and sauté the mushroom until crisp. Season with a little salt and pepper. Serve the soup into individual bowls and top it with some crispy sautéed mushrooms and serve hot!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment