Monday 8 September 2014

Eggless Fruit Cake

I have always been comfortable baking with eggs as it is guaranteed to have the perfect results and also since there are no religious restrictions at home for baking with eggs. However, I have been often asked for Eggless Cake recipes and I was of no help to my friends. Today, I decided to step out of my comfort zone and try my hands on a simple eggless cake to know the procedure and the results and was quite satisfied and happy with what I got. The cake is even more special to me because today, for the first time, I did a demonstration of making a cake to a friend, who stays nearby and who is having failed attempts at making a cake and who dearly wants to bake one for her baby's birthday this weekend!! So glad it turned out perfect!  :)
P.S.: The recipe has been adapted from here.
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup castor sugar
1 cup yogurt
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanila extract
1/2 cup oil (I used olive oil; Though next time I will try using 1/3 cup)
1/3 cup tutti fruity
A pinch of salt
1 tbsp milk for milk wash (I got a beautiful crust even without it)

Direction
Take the yogurt in a bowl and add the sugar and whip till smooth and creamy. Add the baking powder and baking soda and mix well. Let it stand for 3-5 minutes. It will start foaming and frothing. 
Now add the oil and vanila extract and mix gently. Sieve the flour with the salt and add it to the yogurt mixture in two batches. Take care not to overmix and deflate the yogurt. Stir just enough so as to get a smooth lump free batter without any vigorous movement. Using an electric beater is not advisable for this recipe. Now dredge the fruit bits in a little flour (which you may reserve from before) and add it to the batter. Mix gently so as to bring everything together. The batter should be of drop consistency. 
Pre-heat the oven at 175 degree celsius and line/grease a loaf tin or square/circle 6" cake tin. Spread the batter into the prepared dish and smoothen out the top. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Once done and if your cake hasn't yet got a beautiful golden crust, brush the top with milk and bake again for 2-3 minutes. On the other hand, like in my case, if you have got a beautiful golden crust but your cake is still not fully cooked, take an aluminium foil and put it on top of the cake like a tent. This will prevent the crust from burning while your cake gets cooked completely. Remove from oven and let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes. 

Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before slicing. The cake is very soft and moist and so take care while slicing! 


No comments:

Post a Comment